The Eight (8) Signs of Terrorism are:
1. Surveillance - Terrorists may conduct surveillance to determine a target’s strengths and weaknesses.
2. Elicitation - A terrorist may try to gain information about the operations and security of a potential target by asking for information about a specific place.
3. Testing Security
- Someone may use different methods to test security, such as trespassing into a restricted area or leaving a bag unattended in a public place to see how long it takes for people or security to respond.
- Terrorists need to raise money for their operations and spend it in a way that doesn’t draw attention
5. Acquiring Supplies
- To conduct an attack, terrorists may need a variety of supplies, such as weapons, transportation and communication systems.
- Terrorists may impersonate law enforcement officers, firefighters, EMS or paramedic personnel, mail carriers, or company employees to gain information.
- Terrorists often rehearse a planned attack to make sure their operation runs smoothly.
- This is when terrorists are putting their plans into place, getting into position, moving supplies and preparing to attack. Learn more about the Eight (8) Signs of Terrorism.