If you recently moved into your property and already have trash and recycling collection from the City, you do not need to request New Service. The Request for New Service is a three-step process. Below is a general overview of each step.1. Location Details:
Identify your parcel, address and type of residence.2. Select Containers:
Add the trash and recycling containers you'd like to the cart. Request delivery ($25 per container) or choose pick-up.
Your application will be reviewed for eligibility for City-provided collection services. Once this review is complete, we'll send an email with next steps.3. Purchase:
If approved, you'll receive an email with a link to complete your purchase.Eligibility Criteria
The criteria for qualification for City-provided trash and recycling collection services are as follows:
- The residential property must be located entirely within the City of San Diego.
- The residential property must be located on a dedicated public street with Reasonable Access to a City designated collection point safely accessible by City collection vehicles with adequate space for the proper placement and separation of all waste containers for collection without creating unsafe conditions. Reasonable Access, as defined by the City’s Waste Management Regulation (WMR R-009-10), means the residential facility is located immediately adjacent and contiguous to a designated collection point at the curb line of a dedicated public right-of-way which is directly accessible from the residential facility property and does not require moving the collection container across a private street, private alley, private communal driveway, or other private property aside from the residential facility property.
- The residential property must have adequate on-site storage space for all waste containers needed to contain the amount of refuse, recyclables and yard waste accumulated between collection intervals that are not visible from the street.
- Containers must be placed at the collection point between 6 p.m. of the day prior and 6 a.m. of the collection day. Containers must be removed from the street by 6 p.m. of the collection day.
- Requests for services for a multi-family residential facility must be for the entire complex, not an individual unit and must be made by the owner or property manager. All units in the complex must be eligible to receive City services for any unit to receive City collection services.
- The City is not accepting requests to provide refuse collection services to small businesses, commercial properties or residential facilities within planned unit developments with private streets.
Requests for City-provided refuse and recyclables collection services will be reviewed to determine if the property is eligible under the criteria in the City of San Diego Waste Management Regulation
. You will be notified of the determination of eligibility and a collection start date as soon as the evaluation is completed.
For more information please see Container Frequently Asked Questions